As an adult with many responsibilities, going back to school can be challenging. However, you can be successful by making the right moves. To help ensure your success, here are a few tips to remember.
- Set up a study space. While attending adult education classes, you need to be able to study in a quiet place. Setting up a dedicated area that is free from distraction can help you stay organized. Make sure the space is fitted with everything you need to keep up with your studies. Once it is set up, let everyone know it is off-limits.
- Do not be afraid to say no. The addition of classes means that you will have to bypass on some of the favors that you do for everyone else in your circle. Set aside a time for dealing with family and friend requests and stick to your study schedule.
- Ask help from others. Just because you must say no to some requests, it does not mean you cannot ask for help. Asking friends and family to help with tasks, such as grocery shopping and taking your kids to school, will provide you with the time you need to further your education.
- Download time management apps. Keep track of your time throughout the day can be challenge. With your new responsibilities, you can quickly become overwhelmed. A time management app can help you keep track of your obligations and help you pinpoint those times that could be better spent doing other tasks.
- Do not go overboard with studying. You might feel as if you need to do a lot to make up for time lost, but studying too much can work against you. You can easily burn out if you are studying for hours each day. Limit your study time into small sessions daily and take a break when needed.
- Rewrite your notes. When you rewrite your notes, you are reading over the information again. For some adults, this can help cement the information in their minds. When you rewrite the notes, use a different transcribing medium to keep your mind fully engaged.
- Get a study partner. Staying committed and focused can sometimes be encouraged with the help of a classmate. Your study partner can even provide you with additional advice that could help you with studying.
Talk to your counselor at the adult education center to learn other ways you can be successful in learning. You can also visit websites like http://www.pctc.k12.oh.us/.